Reports can be made in person at the Noble County Department of Job and Family Services during office hours Monday through Thursday 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. excluding holidays.  You may also report abuse/neglect to the agency by calling 740-732-2392. Concerns can also be reported after hours (including holidays and weekends) to the Noble County Sheriff’s Department at 740-732-5631.  The After Hours caseworker will return your call as soon as possible.

Information that is beneficial when making a report (if known): 

  • The names of all individuals in the home

  • Ages and/or dates of birth of individuals involved

  • Addresses and phone numbers of the family being reported

  • Current issues/reasons for calling

  • Current physical location of the individuals involved

  • Hazards/dangers from persons or in the home, if known

  • Any other known pertinent information

Any person who has concerns of possible abuse or neglect may report these concerns to Children Services or Law Enforcement.  Ohio Revised Code (ORC) Section 2151.421 mandates that certain individuals must report suspected child abuse and neglect.  This section of the ORC is lengthy, but here are the first two sections which spell out under what circumstances a mandated reporter must contact us, and who are mandated reporters in Ohio. There are some exceptions to the mandated reporter section (b). If you have questions, please refer to ORC Section 2151.421 or contact the agency for a copy.


(A)(1)(a) No person described in division (A)(1)(b) of this section who is acting in an official or professional capacity and knows, or has reasonable cause to suspect based on facts that would cause a reasonable person in a similar position to suspect, that a child under eighteen years of age or a mentally retarded, developmentally disabled, or physically impaired child under twenty-one years of age has suffered or faces a threat of suffering any physical or mental wound, injury, disability, or condition of a nature that reasonably indicates abuse or neglect of the child shall fail to immediately report that knowledge or reasonable cause to suspect to the entity or persons specified in this division.


Except as provided in Section 5120.173 of the Revised Code, the person making the report shall make it to the public children services agency or a municipal or county peace officer in the county in which the child resides or in which the abuse or neglect is occurring or has occurred. In the circumstances described in Section 5120.173 of the Revised Code, the person making the report shall make it to the entity specified in that section.


(b) Division (A)(1)(a) of this section applies to any person who is an attorney; physician, including a hospital intern or resident; dentist; podiatrist; practitioner of a limited branch of medicine as specified in Section 4731.15 of the Revised Code; registered nurse; licensed practical nurse; visiting nurse; other health care professional; licensed psychologist; licensed school psychologist; independent marriage and family therapist or marriage and family therapist; speech pathologist or audiologist; coroner; administrator or employee of a child day-care center; administrator or employee of a residential camp or child day camp; administrator or employee of a certified child care agency or other public or private children services agency; school teacher; school employee; school authority; person engaged in social work or the practice of professional counseling; agent of a county humane society; person, other than a cleric, rendering spiritual treatment through prayer in accordance with the tenets of a well-recognized religion; superintendent, board member, or employee of a county board of mental retardation; investigative agent contracted with by a county board of mental retardation; employee of the department of mental retardation and developmental disabilities; employee of a facility or home that provides respite care in accordance with Section 5123.171 of the Revised Code; employee of a home health agency; employee of an entity that provides homemaker services; a person performing the duties of an assessor pursuant to Chapter 3107. or 5103. of the Revised Code; or third party employed by a public children services agency to assist in providing child or family related services.